heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

6.01.2009

Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch

Isa Chandra Moskowitz is "something of a superstar in the subculture of folks who abstain from all animal products," as The Jewish Week recently put it. When I told friends I'd be meeting the widely revered vegan cookbook author on Saturday and attending the launch party for her new book, Vegan Brunch, tonight, "something of a superstar" seemed like an understatement. One wanted me to call her from tonight's event and put Moskowitz on the phone. One said, "So jealous. Please tell her that I’d love to have her sweet, sweet, cupcake babies." And my friend Amanda, who recently launched the vegan food blog Wegebles and Other Noms, said, "Omg Michael, I might GEEK OUT too much if I [went to the launch party]. Like, I would be tempted to bring my copies of ALL of her cookbooks for her to sign and/or leave lipstick prints on."

Moskowitz drew a devoted crowd of fans to Moo Shoes in Manhattan this evening. The menu featured lots of delectable wonders from Vegan Brunch, including Bakery-Style Berry Muffins, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, Herbed Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits, Smoked Almond Gravy, Pink Grapefruit Mimosas, Italian Feast Sausages (which were out of this world!), and various cream cheeses with bagels.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some kind of Jewish connection, especially since Moskowitz wrote a Passover guest post for heebnvegan in 2007. In the following excerpt from Vegan Brunch, Moskowitz amusingly introduces her Matzoh Brie recipe:

If you're Jewish or a New Yorker at all, you'll be really happy to have a workable vegan matzoh brie recipe. Maybe your mouth is already watering at the thought of the softened matzoh, lightly fried and spiked with just a few fried onions. If you aren't Jewish or a New Yorker, I am going to be honest and say that sometimes I have a really hard time explaining Jewish food in a way that makes it sound appealing to non-Jews. Often I read things on the Internet that say some of my recipes are "weird" and "ethnic." I'll just invite you skeptics to loosen up and try this—it is classic Jewish comfort food!
Vegan Brunch is on sale now. Moskowitz will be serving food from Vegan Brunch at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary's June Jamboree on June 13. For more information about Moskowitz, Vegan Brunch, and her other cookbooks, visit PostPunkKitchen.com.

3 Comments:

  • At 6/01/2009 10:37 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Your blog name is hilarious. I thought I was the only one geeking out over Isa's meet and greet. Here's my post. http://vegandance.blogspot.com/2009/06/being-social-at-moo-shoes.html
    Cheers!

     
  • At 6/02/2009 1:55 PM, Blogger draculor said…

    So did you secure a lipstick-kissed copy for me or what?

     
  • At 6/02/2009 4:47 PM, Blogger heebnvegan said…

    Sorry, Draculor. Can't say I did.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home