heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

3.04.2007

Chag Purim!

I hosted a small Purim get-together last night, but there were a few mishaps along the way! I tried making Hain Superfruit (think vegan Jello) and vegan hamantaschen. The no-expiration-date Hain Superfruit seemed unusually hard a few years after purchase, so I threw it out. As for the hamantaschen, my smoke detector went off shortly after I turned on the oven, so I decided not to use the oven until I clean it thoroughly. I haven't used the oven since moving in to a new apartment a few weeks ago, and it appears that grease from all the meat made by the former tenant set off the smoke detector. Oh, meat, you remind me of Haman: You tried to ruin everything for the Jews on Purim! I shall take my noisemaker and wave it around whenever I hear thine name!

But overall, the night was fun. A friend and I went to the family service at my shul instead of the "adult" one, and I don't see any reason to go back to the other! My Loch Ness Monster costume was a big hit. The young boy in a duck costume in front of me seemed to greatly enjoy it; I couldn't help but feel gratified after all my tireless efforts in behalf of ducks. Afterward, a few friends came over to watch For Your Consideration (the Home for Purim movie). If only we had hamantaschen!

To read a wonderful article about how kosher pork (i.e., vegan mock-pork products) are perfect for Purim, click here.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/12/2007 1:25 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Groovy links! I liked the pig photo with that article. Very nice! Thank you for sharin'...

    Hain... that's vegan, their jel, 'eh? GREAT!!! Hope you had a fun Purim. Ready for Pesach!??

     
  • At 3/13/2007 12:30 AM, Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said…

    What a GREAT (and hilarious in spots) blog! I just ran into it actually looking for something else entirely, but since it's such a great blog - and I'm vegan, and such a Blogger addict (yeah, I'm a dork) I thought I'd have to bookmark this place and come back periodically!

     
  • At 3/16/2007 12:16 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Lookin' forward to the guest Pesach blog. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Pesach... you should hear when it's my turn in the Hagaddah, if i dare get the "roasted shank bone" or "egg" to read about... ha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home